DSL or API
The O'reilly blog actually has a pretty funny write-up on the overuse of people calling everything a DSL named
"The 'Is It a DSL or an API?' Ten Question Checklist.
Some of my favorites were:
- Houston temporary fencing
- Chicago temporary fencing
- Los Angeles temporary fencing
- temporary fencing New York City
- Honolulu HI temporary fencing
- Arlington temporary fencing
Have you ever programmed in a language other than Ruby? (PHP and HTML don’t count.) If not, it’s a DSL.
Is the defining syntactic feature that you’ve cleverly left the parentheses off of a list of function arguments?
If so, it’s a DSL.
Is the code primarily a list of key-value pairs? Welcome to DSL Town, population you!
Are there colons on the front of otherwise-normal English nouns? Did it hurt when your DSL fell down from
Read the whole thing here